Friday, April 28, 2006

The New Style

There's been some talk of Johnny Damon's return (to Fenway wearing pinstripes) over here. To that end, I just signed this.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that silence is more powerful and satisfying than booing. Think about it:

  1. It's only done when honoring a dead person or persons.
  2. It can be bone chilling.
  3. It would be unexpected.
  4. So much can be read into it, thus giving it head-scratching potential.
  5. It's easy.
  6. No one can accuse the Red Sox fans of being bitter and immature, as you know the NY papers are chomping at the bit to do.


Booing, while very tempting, is obvious. I think it has its place later on down the line (Why should he be treated differently than any other Yankee, since that's what he now is? If he were a different kind of Yankee, shouldn't he wear a different kind of uniform?). Repeated silence through every at bat in the 1st game would be the most appropriate response, I think.

(I know that this strategy has been going around for a while, and I did give it some initial thought when I first heard about it. I've just recently started the official switch to this strategy, but only for the first game.)

3 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Peter N said...

A Monday night game, Yanks in town, JD leading off, and SILENCE? I just don't think that's going to be possible, unless the beer is shut off around 6pm today, as our guys are winging home. Today's ( Sun.) game woud be a big one to win.

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, I think that is the greatest idea . The more I see his interviews, the more I feel betrayed. Good one. Jijax AKA MOM

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I know it won't happen, but it's something I would love to see. I don't understand why Johnny Damon would expect better treatment than the other Yankees receive from us. He has his money and his wonderful new penthouse in New York and his pinstripes and his Derek Jeter and his fancy cars. On top of all the things that Johnny has, he wants our cheers, too? No way. I cheer for no Yankee. He could have gone to any other team, but no. I would have cheered for him in any other uniform. Why on earth would he act surprised? He knows this rivalry better than anyone. Does he think he's going to single-handedly change the terms?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home