Thursday, July 21, 2005

A Great Season

As you can see, I am trying to view the brutal ass kicking that was last night's softball game through a sunnier lens.

I should have known that something was off since I didn't have my usual tummy butterflies with the first pitch. I was actually feeling pretty good going into the game. Not in a cocky (Yankee) sort of way, but more just excited to play. We had a lot of players, so I alternated catcher with one of my teammates. I got 2 hits and both were caught. One would have been a nice line drive, too, but these red shirt people were all over us. Our best hitters couldn't get anything done last night. And our fielding was AWFUL. Bad News Bears. The Stooges. However you want to label it. Plus, this team was like no other we've played so far in the league. We thought that they really should have been in a B or C league (intermediate or advanced). Their women were amazing. One girl got a freaking home run on the 1st pitch of her first at bat. The same person got a triple at her next at bat. Another gal came close to homering, too. The whole team kept firing hits into holes and pockets in the field. The lighting was terrible, too, and I know that Sam, one of our best players had perception problems because of it. It was sad that our season ended with such a whoopin', but I almost prefer that to losing to another team like we green shirts. We actually lost the game due to the mercy rule (which means that if the opposing team is leading by so many runs, it is determined that your team couldn't conceivably catch up in another inning). I don't know what the final score was. And I don't want to know.

I'm proud of our team, though, I mean, I had such a great time playing this year, I even considered signing up for the frostbite league, but this would surely interfere with the Red Sox playoff schedule, so the short answer is - no. Someone suggested that we sign up as a team next year. That would be cool, since we all enjoyed playing together this year.

One of my teammates in having us all over his place to celebrate the season in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to that.

And hey - nice work Red Sox, for yesterday's win! Although I did not get to see/hear any of it ... those darn day games!

3 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so your season is over now?? damn...

and hey, the nutcracker threw the first pitch yesterday!! and it was apparently a good one. we got screwed though for 2 reasons: 1. Christie Brinkly was there (who cares, i ask you) and 2. NESN decided to run a COMMERCIAL over it. a COMMERCIAL. come on people! give us a break!

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Christie Brinkley? The Up-Town Girl? That's so random and so strange.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even stranger...her picture was the only picture from the game in The Philadelphia Inquirer.

-PD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home