Monday, November 14, 2005

No Sleep 'til ... Somerville!

I'm back and rested. Well, not exactly rested, but I am definitely back.

California was surreal and picturesque and smoggy and all the things that California is supposed to be. It's lovely enough, but I am an east-coaster. Through and through. I will post a few pictures from beautiful Altadena later. The wedding party was very nice and my friends did a wonderful job with the food and decor. Also, I got to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on the plane and it was as good as friends had declared it to be. Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka was a cross between Jack White from The White Stripes and Michael Jackson, when he was going with the pageboy doo. I really wish I had seen the movie on the big screen, though.

I guess not much has changed in the world of the Red Sox since before I left, except more bogus rumors about Theo's return. Let's face it - Epstein's departure was the biggest bag of crayons we have recieved since .... game 7 of '03. And though I secretly wish that he and Larry come out and say that it was a huge put on to get the best of the Boston media, I know that he's gone. And he's not coming back.

Is it too soon to simply surrender the 2006 season? To lay it on a slab and sacrifice it to the baseball gods, along with Ramirez? Probably. But, I'm having a little trouble locating the silver lining right now. A good start would be Papi being named AL MVP. We will know later today.

Meanwhile, the Celtics enjoyed a huge win over the Rockets last night. So, they are currently 3-3. Maybe I'll treat myself to a game on Wednesday night (they play the Sonics at home). It's the big 3-4 for me. I made the leap from Jason to Papi. Not a monumental birthday - just a jabbing little reminder that I'm not getting any younger. I deserve a basketball game, don't you think?

4 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

//Epstein's departure was the biggest bag of crayons// EVER. ::sniffle:: ok, melodramatic, but the general future of the ballclub means more to me than just one season.

Happy Birthday, girl. Hope you enjoyed the present in your e-mail. that was just for kicks so I'll try and come up with something special just for you.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I did get your email present. Tee, hee.

You are very sweet. Thank you :)

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only time I have seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so far was on the big screen -- the IMAX screen at the Franklin Institute. It was impressive.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Kim said...

That sounds so much better than my having to squint and battle with the window glare. I love IMAX technology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home