Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I'd Rather Pass

Forgive me for being in the minority on this one, but I have zero interest in obtaining Roger Clemens.

This has nothing to do with his arm. We all know that he's still throwing crazy heat and has masterful control. And that he's a future Hall of Famer. And that he's in tip top shape, and for whatever reason his 40-something-year-old body has defied the laws of physics.

This is the same man who I booed incessantly during his pitching duel with Pedro during the 1999 playoffs. I watched him worship the Babe Ruth statue outside Yankee Stadium right before another playoff match up with Pedro in 2003. I watch him talk arrogantly about himself every time he's interviewed. I've seen him pelt guys from the mound just because they'd been fortunate enough to get a couple of hits off of him. And the Piazza stuff was beyond unprofessional. Whenever I see his smug face, I just want to punch it. So, now I'm supposed to turn around, forget everything that conspired since he left the Sox, and rally for him? No thanks. I respect his abilities. But that's about it.

Personally, I would like to think that we have a little more dignity than to get down on our hands and knees, shamelessly wooing His Jackassness back to the Red Sox. The Astros ponied up 18 mil for him. Do you think the price will be any less for the Sox? No way. If Roger's holding all the cards, he can demand what ever the hell he wants. And going back to the Sox for a season means being away from his family (translation: major inconvenience, total pain in the ass), which means that he has even more leverage. I can't even begin to imagine what he would "need" in order to make a 1-year deal with the Sox. And I don't want to find out because it would just piss me off.

I think it's an insult to the hard working, dedicated pitchers we currently have. It's totally unfair that there is a possibility that Clemens could have certain privileges that other pitchers don't. Especially respectable guys like Wake who, without complaint, has been an absolute gem for the Sox for years.

4 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Roger will be tethered to Texas, so no worries.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Maybe he'll honor his dying mother's wish and retire. I think he just likes all the attention he's been showered with.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Jere said...

I agree 100%. I don't see how people can just forget about stuff. I think a majority of people who want him back are just thinking "Yeah, I want that good pitcher," and are totally too young to know what's gone on in the past.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Jenks said...

He ain't coming. Don't even fret.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home