Friday, June 02, 2006

You Mean There's Another Kind of Baseball?



Indeed, there is.

Back in the frigid days of winter, I printed out the NAWBL schedule. That's the North American Women's Baseball League, for those not in the know. Don't worry, you aren't alone. The sport does such a huge injustice to the women who love it and play it hard, it's a wonder they have a half-way decent park to play in.

Anyway, I'm adding "take as much video of these women playing" to my list of summer projects. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit this in with my on-going geneology research and painting projects, but I'm willing to try. The first game I can catch is June 13th* (possibly one over the previous weekend, but I don't know for sure), Ravens vs. Seahawks. My ultimate goal is to create a modest little movie with the footage and send it to the powers-that-be and ask them (who ever they are) to do something to advance this. Oh yeah, the other goal is to watch the women kick ass on the field.

*Not sure if this date is going to hold, as I've recently gone to the site and discovered that the try-outs were pushed back. This could have an impact on the schedule. They've removed all the dates they had up for 2006 so they could post this announcement.

6 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

Off topic, but something that HAS to be said....YOOUUKK! Have a great weekend. Or as Tony the Tiger would say, a greeaaaat weekend.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!
Take that video! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Jere said...

Peter, have you ever been on topic?:)

Anyway, that website is so horribly put together. I really want to take it over myself. Sounds like that league needs help. Step one: fix the site. I feel so bad because they have a little headlines section, but they only can fit so many letters for each, so the top one, a link to a Globe article titled "A Pitch for the Home Team," is listed as "A Pitch for the Ho". Terrible. "Women's baseball: A pitch for the ho."

We really need to help them with that site, and the league. Women should be in MLB by now. Someday... Hopefully soon.

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Using Kim's blog space for a random, off-topic but sort of on topic question....
Were there any objections to the naming of the Worcester Tornados as the Tornados when they formed?

Growing up in Worcester County it kinda seems like a bad idea. Like the New Orleans Hurricanes in 50 odd years. Am I too weirdly sensitive?

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Jere said...

Too soon?

"The Tornadoes' CEO, Alan Stone, claims that "The name embodies the strength and dominating force the team will strive to display on the field." The name was chosen by local Worcester resident, Lynne Orsted, though she was joined by hundreds of others who entered the same name in a public contest held to chose the name of the team."

I like their new slogan, "baseball with a twist." Here's a link to the manager of the team, a Red Sox legend:

http://www.worcestertornadoes.com/tornadoes/coaches/?id=488

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Kim said...

I think it would be great if the website were updated. I really wish that interest could be drummed up for these women. Could help things financially. You can't even figure out how the league is configured with this site.

Wormtown - I can understand the sensitivity. Maybe, since the name was suggested and voted on by Worcesterians, could it be that it's more about the strength of the folks in the area? Can't be easy to survive that. I've got nothing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home