Friday, September 23, 2005

It's Ours and We're Going to Take It

I've been reading and hearing lots of negative talk about the Red Sox over the last couple of days. My own mom called me today in an absolute fury. "Well, I guess we're out, aren't we?!" she shouted. While I certainly understand the frustration (I needed to be thoroughly "talked down" on Wednesday night), I am NOT giving up hope. As of Thursday morning, we were only .5 out of 1st place. We were responsible for this. As of this morning, we are 1 (stinking) game out - we had no control over this, as it was a day off. Can't blame the Sox.

What can I say? I'm not worried.

1. We have home game advantage for the remainder of the schedule (after the current series).
2. Tito will not hesitate to use the younger arms in relief.
3. Johnny is back in the line up.
4. No more pesky Evil Rays to face.
5. We've had a day of rest.
6. We're angry because we are now trailing the Yankees and this is great motivation.

We are clutch. This is not the 2000 or 2001 Red Sox team. We are a resilient group of champions. World Champions. We will be going to the playoffs with- or without - the Yankees. I am convinced that we will not be let down. We aren't complacent, just a little tired. When push comes to shove, though, we're gonna clinch this thing. I can't prove that this is going to happen with a lot of statistical data. Now is the time that teams show us what they are really made of. Earned run averages and slugging percentages aside - right now it's about guts and grit and toughness and we, the Red Sox, possess all of these qualities in abundance. So, as fan, it's that time of the season when I stop analyzing pitching match-ups and I rely on the mystics of baseball and good vs evil and all that stuff. Magic and whatnot. We're going to win this division if it kills me. I refuse to let the Yankees take away what is rightfully mine. Uh, I mean, OURS.

I'm putting on my game hat now. And I'm getting ready for a win.

By the way, I told my mom that if she didn't adjust her attitude, I was not going to let her celebrate our division clinching victory with me. She laughed. I wasn't kidding.

1 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Jere said...

I'm not kidding about that either. The negative people can send me their playoff tickets right fucking now if they're so convinced they won't be necessary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home