Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Johnny Demon

In the spirit of co-GM-ing, I wonder if the grand scheme here is to label Trot and Manny as co-centerfielders. Maybe Lowell/Marte and Loretta (I keep wanting to call him Shirley), can be co-short stops. Hey, why spend the dough? Let's get creative!

Speaking of creativity, I propose having a contest in which people compete for the most creative use of Johnny Damon Red Sox gear.

Demon (change "a" to "e")
Ramones (change "D" to "R", add "es" at the end. Bonus if you can sew a Joey Ramone head shot applique over the 18)
Vamoose (change "D" to "V", "n" to "o" and add and "se" at the end)

I am so disappointed in Johnny. It's not like the Yankees offer included an extra couple of years. In fact, the money wasn't much more, so I am puzzled as to the true motivation. The comments that he made on his way out were unforgivable. A-Rod's first at-bat in Fenway was a rough one, but that's nothing. You call that booing? Just wait. Johnny is going to get crucified. Fitting, I suppose with all the Jesus comparisons. The fans will be merciless. And the funny thing, too, is that the NYY fans aren't super impressed with the deal. At least, from what I've heard. Think about it: Imagine that in some strange twist of fate, the Sox made a deal with the Yanks - Schilling for Jeter. [This is totally hypothetical.] Would you, could you, ever warm up to Derek Jeter as your short stop? Hell, no. I imagine that Johnny is going to find himself a very lonely place come April. And he's definitely a guy who cares about his popularity. He screwed himself on that one. So, he's got that going for him.

As disappointed in Damon as I am, I am equally concerned about the glue of the front office. Open their office doors and out pops Lydia the Tattooed Lady, a guy on a unicycle, several clowns, an elephant, and some peanuts. I mean, what the heck is going on over there? Kerry and I watched a bit of the press conference today and I've got to tell you, I didn't walk back to my desk feeling very confident.

7 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

I think you left out the giraffe that can roam the outfield and snatch baseballs in mid-air. tLL and company were clueless.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Peter N said...

There is no t in LL. There's not much of anything else either!

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This statement is going to get me a lot of shit:

I like Derek Jeter more than I like Curt Schilling.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Kim said...

It was purely hypothetical and you probably sit on the side of the minority on this one. But you are entited to your opinion.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Did you read Bill Simmons' article? It's aaallllllways about the money!

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Johnny, we hardly knew ye.
Jere's mom

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Jere's Mom: I with you on this one. Don't let the door hit ya ...

I think I will make it part of my '06 mission to make fun of Johnny Damon as much as possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home